Ability Assessment Program
The effects of a catastrophic injury can last a lifetime. Expert management of that injury should last a lifetime as well. Things change. Needs adjust. Age comes. Living situations alter – sometimes requiring even the most excellent, well-thought-out plan to be revised. QLI’s Ability Assessment offers a comprehensive review of a client’s current needs and functional abilities, regardless of stage, by an interdisciplinary team of brain and spinal cord injury rehabilitation experts.
Practical Answers to Complex Questions
In collaboration with the client and care team, each assessment is customized to answer specific questions and topics germane to each situation. Depending on the complexity of the situation and questions, QLI’s clinical team will suggest an evaluation period typically ranging from 3 to 30 days. Following the assessment, all parties will be provided with a thorough report including a summary of the client’s current functional status and recommendations moving forward.
Insurance carriers and medical personnel are often looking for answers to questions such as:
• What type and level of support is most appropriate for the current circumstances?
• What is the appropriate level of care after a change in health status or loss of a family caregiver?
• Is this patient a candidate to return to work?
• Are symptoms consistent and legitimate?
• To what extent is impairment a result of the work-related injury?
• Is there equipment or therapy that would increase this patient’s independence?
• Is the patient on the right type and level of medications?
• Is the patient effectively managing his/her long-term health?
• How do we integrate purposeful activities to improve overall quality of life and engagement in family and community?
While on QLI’s rehabilitation campus, the client will be cared for, as needed, by a dedicated 24-hour nursing and aide teams that are highly experienced at managing the often-complex medical needs of individuals with neurologic injury. Any medical needs will be overseen by QLI’s medical director and our team of specialty physician partners.
QLI’s interdisciplinary assessments test our clients in a variety of areas with both formal and functional evaluations. While highly informative and very valuable, we believe the formal evaluations to be only one piece of the puzzle. By reviewing the client’s abilities in a functional environment we are able to identify situations that would not be revealed in a formal, clinical setting. We conduct all of our assessments on an inpatient basis so as to accurately evaluate all aspects of life and observe our clients on around-the-clock, real-world basis.
Clients may be assessed, as appropriate, in these areas:
• Functional capacity evaluation (FCE)
• Neuropsychological assessments
• Vocational and/or return to work potential
• Physical therapy
• Occupational therapy
• Speech/language therapy
• Physical care and support needs
• Vision assessment
• Driving evaluation
• Life skills evaluation
• Life path assessment and recommendations
• Assistive/adaptive equipment needs inventory
• Dietary and nutritional needs assessment
All assessments culminate with a comprehensive formal report containing clear and unbiased clinical recommendations. QLI’s clinical staff will also remain available as a consultative resource following any assessments.
Admissions & Referral Information
Simply put, QLI knows catastrophic injury rehabilitation and care. Our clinical and residential teams offer expertise in the fields of brain injury, spinal cord injury and stroke. Our experience and collective knowledge base blends the formal and functional evaluation tools to provide a comprehensive, customized plan including recommendations from an unbiased, qualified source for the next steps.
How do I discuss a case or make a referral?
For more information or to discuss a potential candidate for the assessment program, contact Patty Sanderson, our Coordinator of Admissions. We will take the time to gather and review information, answer your questions, discuss expectations and collaborate on appropriate next steps.
For more information please visit our FAQ page located under the Admissions Tab of our website.